Autor Thema: Trying to find information about a relative  (Gelesen 16027 mal)

John Fabke

• Gast
Trying to find information about a relative
« am: 09.01.10 (16:59) »
Hello,

I apologize for my use of English. I wish I could communicate with you in German but unfortunately my language skills are very poor. I wonder if the members of your board might be kind enough to help me out.
I've been doing some research on my grandfather's cousin and got some information from Volksbund Deutsche Kriegsgräberfürsorge e.V. -
Could someone tell me about his unit?
2./I.R. 122
Erkennungsmarke -49-Stb.I./I.R.122
He was killed 27/7/41 near Kucies. Where is that? A basic Google search did not yield much. I think it is in Moldolva. Is there any way to find out about the action in which he was killed?
Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Balsi

• Stammmitglied
Re:Trying to find information about a relative
« Antwort #1 am: 10.01.10 (12:52) »
Hi,

thats interesting.. I´m the leader of the 50th ID union here in germany.. and the IR 122 was a part of this division. Yesterday I read some informations obout the divion-fightings at the Dnjestr area (Bessarabia) 1941. There are some more informations given.

The cousin fell in the area of Kucier this is on the eastern side of Dnjestr river. north of Dubossari and southwest of Roghi

this is here:

at this area the division came accross the Dnjestr river.. very hard fightings... can you give me his name?

Balsi

• Stammmitglied
« Antwort #2 am: 10.01.10 (12:54) »
here a map from the division

Niwre

• Stammmitglied

John Fabke

• Gast
« Antwort #4 am: 10.01.10 (18:41) »
Thanks so much for your help. His name was Karl Krenz. He was an Obergefreiter and originally from Schwerin. The note I got from VDK said that his remains were in the Soldatenfriedhof, Triaspol. Thanks as well for any additional information you might be able to provide.

Balsi

• Stammmitglied
« Antwort #5 am: 10.01.10 (19:48) »
here are the entries for the 27.07.1941:

9.00 o'clock - attack readiness
10.00 o'clock - planning of the attack by Divisional commander: plan: attack by Stuka on Korzevo and Roghi, Artillery fire on the flank menace, fire on 3 bunkers in front of IR 121 and 1 south of Roghi
09.30 Uhr - russian tank assault with 7 tanks from Korzevo in front of IR 122; 1 tank destroyed by Pak
10.00 Uhr Stukaassault on Korzevo and Roghi, IR 121 and IR 122 are assaulting; fighting to take the bunkers are very hard; in afternoon they could take 2 bunkers (1 strong), 1 Bunker southwest of Kucier is blown up; still counterattacks with tanks from Korzevo against IR 122, 4 tanks destroyed
16.00 Uhr - IR 122 announces strong enemy's aggregations in the northern part of Korzevo, another Stukaassault??
18.00 Uhr - Stuka assault
20.45 Uhr - IR 122 announces taking line in front of a bunkerline south of Kucier - Tank-Battery with 4x7,5cm-guns. one hurt feldwebel fell into this Bunker - they took him out and blow the bunker up

till the evening 21 bunkers where destroyed, 15 IR 121 and 6 IR 122 (woith 1 Tank-Battery)

Balsi

• Stammmitglied
« Antwort #6 am: 10.01.10 (20:53) »
konnte dieses Korzevo nur noch nicht finden...

John Fabke

• Gast
« Antwort #7 am: 10.01.10 (21:09) »
Thanks so much for the detailed information. Is there any way to find out about Karl's service before 27/7/41? Would he have gone through the campaign in France etc?

Balsi

• Stammmitglied
« Antwort #8 am: 10.01.10 (21:59) »
Itz is possible just try to ask here: http://www.dd-wast.de/ .

in the pre-war time I thimnk he was`nt a member of the Wehrmacht. The IR 122 became on 28.08.1939 IR 122... before that it was a Grenz-Infanterie-Regiment.. on his ID-Tag is written "IR 122" and not "Grz.IR 122", so this tells me something his membership to this regiment after the war starts.. so it might be, that he was in France and greece, but I think not in poland.

Also possible is, that he got a 2. ID-tag, after he maybe lost the first one.. but about this I cannot say anything.. try at the WASt.. and please inform me about the infos.. its for our archive..thanks a lot...

Niwre

• Stammmitglied
« Antwort #9 am: 11.01.10 (10:22) »
konnte dieses Korzevo nur noch nicht finden...
Коржово (mold.: Коржова, eng.: Corjova) - second map: north 18-20, east 64.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corjova,_Dubăsari
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocieri (Kucier)

John Fabke

• Gast
« Antwort #10 am: 11.01.10 (17:30) »
Thanks again for all the information. I really appreciate your help. I will make an inquiry with WASt and let you know what I find out.

Balsi

• Stammmitglied
« Antwort #11 am: 11.01.10 (18:24) »
beware.. the information (with costs) will take more than 8 months..;-((((.. Do you have any pictures of the cousin?

John Fabke

• Gast
« Antwort #12 am: 13.01.10 (01:11) »
Hi Balsi,
I did note that a WASt inquiry would take quite awhile. I'll apply and see how much it will cost. I do have a very poor photocopy of Karl. It is a formal shot of him in his dress uniform.

T72

• Gast
« Antwort #13 am: 02.04.11 (09:39) »
here are the entries for the 27.07.1941:

9.00 o'clock - attack readiness
10.00 o'clock - planning of the attack by Divisional commander: plan: attack by Stuka on Korzevo and Roghi, Artillery fire on the flank menace, fire on 3 bunkers in front of IR 121 and 1 south of Roghi
09.30 Uhr - russian tank assault with 7 tanks from Korzevo in front of IR 122; 1 tank destroyed by Pak
10.00 Uhr Stukaassault on Korzevo and Roghi, IR 121 and IR 122 are assaulting; fighting to take the bunkers are very hard; in afternoon they could take 2 bunkers (1 strong), 1 Bunker southwest of Kucier is blown up; still counterattacks with tanks from Korzevo against IR 122, 4 tanks destroyed
16.00 Uhr - IR 122 announces strong enemy's aggregations in the northern part of Korzevo, another Stukaassault??
18.00 Uhr - Stuka assault
20.45 Uhr - IR 122 announces taking line in front of a bunkerline south of Kucier - Tank-Battery with 4x7,5cm-guns. one hurt feldwebel fell into this Bunker - they took him out and blow the bunker up

till the evening 21 bunkers where destroyed, 15 IR 121 and 6 IR 122 (woith 1 Tank-Battery)

I was researching the history of the Stalin Line.
I have information and video of bunkers in the Roghi.
A few photos of Artillery bunker in Cocieri:

Bunker on google service:

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=47.304091,29.104967&spn=0.001841,0.004823&z=18